Join Our Team: Communications Officer Vacancy
*Thank you for your interest: Application period is now closed. We will be contacting shortlisted applicants shortly*
Join our team!
The Society for International Development (SID) seeks a motivated and creative person to join its team as a full-time Communications Officer. The successful candidate will support SID’s outreach and communication work to its various publics and ensure the interconnections between different programmatic areas of its social justice goals.
Set up in 1957, SID is an accredited international network that aims to promote socio-economic justice and foster democratic participation in the development process. It addresses key global agendas tabled at the United Nations (UN) and other relevant international forums related to food systems, climate & energy, development finance, public services, and global health. SID is primarily a knowledge-based organization, which makes the communication position a critical function for the organization.
Through programs and activities at national, regional, and global levels, SID strengthens collective knowledge and fosters joint action from below on people-and-planet-centered development strategies. SID’s goal is to contribute to promoting common goods through inclusive processes. SID’s activities are organized in programmatic areas - economic justice, food justice, energy justice, global health justice, and future scenarios –facilitated by an International Secretariat based in Rome (Italy) and its main regional office in Nairobi (Kenya). SID promotes policy change towards inclusiveness, equity, and sustainability. SID’s focus springs from its long-lasting engagement with human rights and inequalities, particularly within Africa. SID co-facilitates or actively facilitates many civil platforms, including the Civil Society Financing for Development Mechanism, among others. It is an active member of the Reflection Group on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and contributes to the annual publishing of the Spotlight Report on Sustainable Development. It also co-facilitates many workstreams within the Civil Society and Indigenous Peoples' Mechanism (CSIPM) for relations with the UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS). It is an active member of the Global Network on the Right to Food and Nutrition, including the annual publishing of the Right to Food Watch. SID is also co-chair of the Geneva Global Health Hub.
One of SID’s main instruments for knowledge production and dissemination is the Development Journal. Development has been SID’s flagship publication since its inception over 60 years ago and enjoys a broad readership within the development and academic community.
With the Communications Officer position, SID aims to align its recognized operational pathways and enhance its knowledge tools, to raise its visibility and impact within the development fora, as well as with policymakers and the public.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND REQUIREMENTS
Under the direct oversight of SID’s Management Team and in close collaboration with the different programmatic focal points, the Communications Officer will contribute to design SID’s communication profile and strengthen its outreach.
The key focus and objectives of the work plan will embrace the following:
- Developing and coordinating SID’s communication strategy based on SID’s organizational strategy, considering the existing tools and building on the shared analysis of the organization’s potential and future goals;
- Focusing on strengthening internal communication within SID and among the different programmatic areas
- Being responsible for creating content for and updating SID’s website and SID’s social media platforms, including Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Liaising with colleagues in the communication departments of other organizations and social movements, engaging actively when the amplification of shared advocacy messages is needed
- In line with SID’s Communication Strategy, enhancing SID’s voice and profile in mainstream media by identifying and creating meaningful media opportunities for the organization through the selected array of media relations and tools. This includes the production of articles/ blog pieces/op-eds in selected international/regional channels
- Supporting the editorial process of SID’s Development Journal, including through online events to launch the Journal issues;
- Exploring the implementation of other communication tools, such as newsletters or podcasts
Candidates will be assessed against the following requirements:
- Has at least 3 to 5 years of experience in media communication and relations
- Experience in SID’s programmatic areas of work is desirable
- Has excellent spoken and editorial communication skills
- Has proven experience in producing content for various communications platforms
- Comfortable with English as a working language
- Fluency in a second UN language (Spanish as the preferred language)
- Familiarity with the UN context and its related processes and an understanding of similar international and multicultural settings is a plus
- Familiarity with and knowledge of popular content management systems for website management, including Drupal
- Familiarity with and knowledge of Zoom, Canva, Hootsuite, Keyhole, Mailchimp, and Meltwater media tools is desired.
- Professional motivation for working with Civil Society Organizations and social movements.
- Familiar with digital platforms to support the organization of meetings and online events.
- Can work independently and adapt to a flexible working schedule
- Can work with tight deadlines and (occasionally) under stress
- Is committed, responsible, and loyal to the organization and its people
- Has a proactive and entrepreneurial attitude within the team
- Promotes a problem-solving attitude
- Can work in a multicultural environment and respects diversity
- Can contribute harmonically to teamwork through listening and building on other people’s ideas and proposals.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send:
- Their updated CV
- Names and contacts of 3 references
- A motivation letter explaining how they meet the selection criteria
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by 23:59 (CET), 11 August 2023. Please specify in the subject of the message “Vacancy_Communications Officer_name_surname.”
SID is an equal-opportunity employer. Applications from people living in the global South are particularly encouraged. All applications will be treated in confidence and pre-selected based on their fit with the selection criteria. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. The interviews will be conducted virtually from the end of August 2023.
This is a remote position with a flexible location.
The selected person will be offered a collaboration working contract (or, if requested, a project based/consultancy contract could be envisaged) for one year with the possibility of a longer-term extension.
Compensation will be communicated to shortlisted candidates and will be discussed based on candidates’ geographical location and availability. More detailed information will be shared during the interviews.
More information about the Society for International Development can be found here.